Monday, September 17, 2007

Birthdays galore

Again I have to admit that it's been a while since I posted anything. We seem to be busy a lot. Part of it is good old fashioned procrastination, but we also do have a lot of stuff going on. Busy at work, finishing up taxes, preparing a trip to the old home country...... did I mention birthdays? I guess that probably has to do with the fact that we like our birthdays quiet. So don't worry, you did not miss a party. However, I have to say that it's pretty cool to have a baker in the family. Danny, Maria's brother, came by last week with some goodies for Brent's birthday (family in Maryland) and gave us this cake.


Sorry, I'm not done with the subject of birthdays just yet. I just learned a new bit of americana. My brother-in-law, Brent, whose birthday I just mentioned was celebrated with a crab boil. For those of you who don't know what this is (like me before last weekend), a bunch of crabs get together in jolly celebration in a huge pot of boiling water. They have a luscious bath of vegetables and then are helped onto a large table where they have a huge hangover. For those crabs who don't have a hangover there are helpful assistants seated around the table with mallets who will pick out a poor hangoverless crab and spread the cheer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooops. Happy belated birthday from me as well!

[1] I've beeen meaning to comment on some of your latest posts, but
[2] didn't get around to make time for it, then
[3] forgot about it for a while, and
[4] saw/did something that triggered me to check your blog again and then
[5] goto [1]. :-)

I'm not a big fan of crabs myself, assuming there is no significant difference in taste compared to lobsters. But seeing your family dig in at the table I assume it was tasty.

Did the cake taste as delicious as it looks? It's no lie for sure that "everthing is BIG" in America eh? ;-)

On a whole different note, would you mind editing your blogger settings to adjust the date/time format of comments to something more significantly informative than (for example) "1:41 PM"?

I know it's silly (something to do with my internal wiring probably) but it just irritates the hell out of me to see that -for example- Daffie commented on something at "1:41 PM". It's distracting. Questions like "On 1:41 PM in which time-zone?!?" and "On which date?!?" unsolicitedly pop-up in my head.

I've even looked up the help and found this (the part about the "Comments Timestamp Format") in an attempt to see if I could do something about it myself.

Please help me out here buddy!

Pim said...

Anything for my guests :-) The best I could do there is to include EDT for (I assume) Eastern Daylight savings Time. This is GMT-5 and 6 hours behind NL. Hope this helps stop the irritation ;-)

As far as the crabs go, I'm not a big (shell)fish person myself so I had a couple of bites to taste it and then started fishing the hot sausage out of that mountain of food. The cake was excellent though. There was a generous amount of rum in there too ;-) Danny always gets chartered with the cakes and he always delivers. He's too nice for this world. Brent had asked for donuts from his bakery and he brought them over to us to bring to the party since he couldn't make it there himself.

Anonymous said...

Thanks mate!

Wow, whipped cream cake with rum. I've got to taste that sometime!

Daffie Online said...

Birthdays...hmm.... I am pregnant so I forget EVERYTHING...good excuse right?

No crabs/lobsters etcetera for me as well..but I would have loved to sit there and share a Corona with you :-)

Trip to the home country? WHEN?